Why You’ll Love This Job
The A la Carte Sous will contribute to the day-to-day operations of the hotel’s kitchen, which includes training, supervising, and cooking for the on-site restaurant, room service, and all hotel functions.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Support kitchen leadership in training and scheduling culinary staff for proper coverage while keeping payroll costs in-line.
- Foster and maintain an environment of mutual respect, while always communicating in an inspiring manner.
- Prepare daily/weekly prep sheets and complete nightly meant and seafood inventories.
- Ensure proper receiving, storage (including temperature-setting) and rotation of food products so as to comply with Health Department regulations. Continuously monitor kitchen cleanliness and sanitation.
- Must adhere to control procedures for cost and quality.
- Take pride in the quality of your food execution and presentation while serving menu items in compliance with established standards.
- Always maintain a prepared and sanitary work area, including cleaning of equipment and cooking areas while ensuring that all storage areas are kept tidy.
- Show initiative and act with an appropriate level of independence while achieving consistent results and successfully managing demanding deadlines.
- Approaches all tasks with a “can-do” attitude and always strives for exceptional guest service and satisfaction
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience as an A la Carte Sous, with prior direct supervisory experience of kitchen staff.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours including opening and closing, as well as weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing and able to take and accept corrective feedback without issue.
- Must have thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to read, write and speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions. Ability to also speak Spanish a plus.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Ability to climb stairs, bend, reach above shoulders, kneel, twist, and grip items.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to respond to visual and auditory cues (telephone, radio)
- Ability to push and/or pull equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing an average of 25-50 pounds.
- Ability to extend arms overhead to perform various technical tasks, and work in confined spaces, under varying temperature extremes.
$50,000 starting. Compensation dependent upon relevant experience.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
This description excludes non-essential and marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties. Furthermore, the specific examples in each section are not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, they represent the typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Other job-related duties may be assigned by the employee’s department leadership. Furthermore, this description is subject to change, at the sole discretion of the hotel, and in no way creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise; each employee remains, at all times, an “at will” associate.
Type: Full Time (Salaried)
Job ID: 110319