Why You’ll Love This Job
The Chief Engineer position is responsible for the overall operations of the hotel’s Maintenance Department. Your job is to plan, coordinate, communicate and lead team members within the department to drive guest loyalty, team member engagement, revenues, and profitability. This position requires a leader that leads by example with a hands-on approach to coaching and development. Our culture of communication, honesty, continuous growth, and accountability is very important to us! We are only interested in candidates that believe in the same foundations.
This is an hourly position, that requires a 40-hour work week and some weekend flexibility, based on hotel demand.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Preventive Maintenance: Understand preventive maintenance, routine inspections, guest service recovery, asset protection, procurement guidelines and capital expenditures. Learns the impact of maintaining company assets within budget guidelines and how it impacts the overall financial success of the hotel property.
- Identifies concerns and provides repair/maintenance solutions: Assesses and evaluates functionality of all equipment and assets. Perform and/or supervise maintenance work as needed or scheduled to lengthen the life and usefulness of items so long term savings can be realized. Keep the property well maintained, equipment serviced and in good repair.
- Helps control expenses: Responsible for proper use of all equipment and adheres to cost controls to reduce expenses and waste. Seeks and implements cost saving measures and efficient purchasing strategies in order to meet/exceed budget for expenses.
- Meeting Room Setup: Responsible for overseeing meeting room sets, cleanliness, and audio/visual equipment. Ensure that all meetings are setup properly to exceed customer expectations.
- Emergency On-Call: This position requires availability to be on-call for property emergencies. in case of fire alarms, plumbing leaks, guest lock-outs, etc; the Chief Engineer is responsible for timely emergency response and must be reachable by phone 24 hours. CSM will compensate with a $30 monthly cell phone allowance.
- Management/Supervisory: Effectively manage a department and team, resulting in optimum financial success, guest satisfaction and employee relations and completion of all hotel initiatives. Monitor and manage all payroll/labor expenses.
- Follows CSM’s standard operating procedures: Is knowledgeable in all engineering SOP’s, and sets the example for others by following all CSM and brand requirements.
- Provides on-the-job-training: Identifies training opportunities, and provides one-on-one training in specific tasks or SOP’s as appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with all others: Supports all departments to ensure excellent customer service as it relates to maintenance and equipment issues. Completes all assigned duties within or outside the normal scope of responsibilities.
- Works safely: Maintains an organized, clean and safe work environment in compliance with CSM, brand, local, state and federal regulations. Follows all CSM procedures for guest/associate incidents. Knowledgeable of hotel emergency procedures.
- Self/Workload Management: Must have high attention to detail, good communication skills, leadership ability and excellent problem solving skills. Must have high level of technical expertise as it relates to the position. Must have excellent organization skills, a high degree of creativity to facilitate efficient problem solving. Must be able to manage multiple priorities and have high attention to detail. Must be able to work in an environment with frequent interruptions and tight deadlines.
Education: High school diploma or GED required. College degree or equivalent experience preferred. CPO, HVAC, boiler, Serve Safe certification desired, or the ability to obtain certification based on policy guidelines. Current and valid driver’s license and safe driving record required.
Experience/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: 3–5+ years of maintenance experience required, preferably in the hotel industry. CPO certification must be attained within 3 months of hire. Must be detail oriented, have ability to communicate well with all levels within and outside the organization, and be able to problem-solve with employees and guests. Must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift, push, and pull up to 100 pounds consistently throughout shift.
Type: Full Time (Hourly)
Job ID: 114699