Why You’ll Love This Job
Come and join our team! We are a local growing private medical practice specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with diseases of the retina and vitreous. We are looking for individuals who would like to establish a career in healthcare working with nationally recognized physicians. We provide on the job training giving you the ability to grow and advance your skills along with gaining innovative knowledge. Established in 1977, we have locations all over Northern California including Sacramento, Grass Valley, Roseville, Stockton, Modesto, Fairfield, Elk Grove, Folsom, Yuba City and Chico. Our physicians are nationally known, and we continue to be on the leading edge of retina care by utilizing the latest equipment and both participating in and designing new clinical trials to advance the state of care for retinal diseases. Join 150+ other team members working for our nationally recognized retina specialty practice in a fast paced, high volume medical office.
We seek a full-time Ophthalmic Technician to support our team. Although you must be able to work independently, you will be working directly with physicians, patients, and clinical and business office staff. Collaboration and being a team player are essential to the success of this role. This position will require travel to other locations as needed.
Full-time immediate employee benefits:
Paid Time Off (PTO) 13 days per year, as accrued.
7 Paid Holidays per year.
Ability to participate in company 401k plan offered through Fidelity.
On the first of the month following 30 days of employment benefits:
Medical insurance – employer pays 95% of premium of base HMO plan for employee (dependent coverage available for purchase).
Group dental, vision, life, and accident plans available for purchase.
Flexible Spending Account participation available.
Allows pre-tax deferrals of amounts for medical, dental or vision premiums
Allows pre-tax deferrals for dependent care expenses, subject to limitations
After 90 days of employment – Paid Sick Leave of 3 days per year.
After one year of service – 401K Plan Safe Harbor contribution (3% of annual earnings) received after 2022 plan year ends.
Pay depends on experience and ranges from $17.50 – $21.00 per hour for Work Up Ophthalmic Technicians.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Duties (not limited to): All the duties of Front Desk, plus the following:
1. Obtain chart from office
2. Call patient back by first and last name and verifies patients DOB
3. Greets patients warmly and introduce self and role to patient and family members
4. Verify physician’s orders
5. Dilate patient’s eyes
6. Complete a patient history
7. Check visual acuity
8. Obtain quality OCT
9. Accurately enter chief complaint in EHR
10. Accurately enter all information from abstraction forms in EHR
11. Understand which testing/imaging is required for each diagnosis
12. Understand information required to meet meaningful use and MIPS requirements
13. Inform patient of expectations for visit
14. Escort patient to photos, sub waiting or exam room
15. Mail out referral letters, as appropriate
16. Thoroughly and accurately document patient visits
17. Work quickly and efficiently to maintain an expedient clinic flow
18. Schedule patient/reschedule patients as needed
19. Understand which diagnosis’ are emergencies and which are not
20. Understand length of time when all diagnosis’ should be scheduled
21. Understand how to answer telephone calls using appropriate verbiage
22. Open all diagnostic and exam rooms including: turning on equipment as needed, logging into phone at tech desk, cleaning and setting out appropriate instruments, lenses, etc.
23. Accurately count all medications before clinic and log on drug log
24. Ensure rooms are stocked and ready for patients when opening rooms in the morning and after lunch
25. Wipe down necessary equipment and instruments with alcohol wipes while patient is watching
26. Use hand sanitizer or wash hands while patient is watching
27. Properly instill eye drops and understand the indication/contraindication for use in dilation
28. Make dilation drops properly
29. Understand basics of Front Desk position including, but not limited to, making appointments, working tasks, answering phones, checking faxes
30. Back up Front Desk when needed for coverage
31. Understand emergency protocols
32. Ability to maintain a HIPAA and OSHA compliant workstation
1. Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing
2. Apply policies and principles to solve everyday problems
3. Ability to plan, exercise initiative, problem solve, make decisions
4. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously
5. Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities
6. Excellent organizational and time management skills
7. Ability to work in an unsupervised environment, both as a team and as an individual
8. Ability to maintain a courteous demeanor while maintaining required level of productivity
9. Knowledge of insurances; HMO’s, PPO’s, Medicare, Medi-Cal
10. Knowledge of how to operate standard office equipment
11. Able to dilate, check vision, and enter appropriate chief complaint
12. Understand what diagnoses are considered emergencies
13. Ability to follow direction well, maintain professionalism and be punctual
14. Ability to obtain readable OCT image from all OCT equipment
15. Ability to accurately and completely document patient visit in EHR
16. Enjoy working with patients, primarily elderly patients
17. Patience and empathy
18. Ability to work as a part of a team
19. Ability to work under pressure in a high paced environment
20. Ability to answer phones, schedule patients accurately, work tasks, work faxes (basic Front Desk duties)
- Sitting and viewing computer screen for extended periods
- Keyboarding for extended periods
- Standing or walking, up to 75% of the time
- Lifting, reaching, and bending, often
- Close visual acuity required to perform duties such as viewing computer monitor, and determining accuracy and thoroughness of work
Type: Full Time (Hourly)
Job ID: 95816