Why You’ll Love This Job
The Physician Assistant provides clinical services for the clinic as well as guidance to the general nursing staff.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Provides clinical practitioner duties in the clinic including obtaining histories, performing examinations, diagnoses, ordering tests, treating, and referring patients as necessary to ensure optimal patient healthcare management consistent with the mission of patient-centered care.
- Identifies and analyzes the design of patient flow and workflow for clinical services provided to patients. Assures the implementation of appropriate changes to improve effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency that support the overall goals.
- Collaborates with other members of the healthcare team including physicians, nurses, case management and community providers in educating patients and families. Arranges follow-up/consultations to promote positive health outcomes. Maintains positive working relationships with management, vendors, hospitals and employees to ensure effective communication and cooperative working relationships.
- Maintains accurate and timely records of patient information to assure coordinated service delivery and continuity of care. Manages time effectively to ensure optimal use of patient and provider resources.
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the nurse practitioner field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations and maintaining Physician Assistant licensure. Integrates this acquired knowledge into the position and keeps skills current on the job. Research issues in patient management and shares findings with the professional community. Participates in clinical research.
- Attends in-services, educates peers and staff both formally and informally and seeks information to ensure that collaborative learning processes are continuously maintained. Serves as a role model and may serve as a preceptor for physician assistant and other midlevel students.
- Maintains and implements knowledge of all protocols, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, laws and guidelines that impact the clinical services and ensures that activities are in compliance.
- Participates in CQI projects. Identifies and analyzes the design of jobs, work processes and flows for the department. Suggests or implements appropriate changes to improve work effectiveness, productivity and efficiency that support the overall goals of the clinic.
- Assists in developing, implementing, and monitoring of annual goals and objectives for the department that supports the mission and objectives of the clinic.
- Works with the research team to provide clinical supervision of patient care in accordance with clinical trial rules and with oversight by the principal investigator.
- Serves on committees as selected and assigned. In addition, will attend regular staff meetings and provide assistance with special projects as assigned by the medical director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High level of initiative and ability to coordinate and provide client services within overall organizational and management activities.
- Ability to handle multiple, ongoing tasks with little supervision.
- Ability to provide directive and supportive supervision to medical staff.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and electronic medical records.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Skills in creative problem solving and crisis management.
Education and Experience:
- A master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS), Health Science (MHS), or Medical Science (MMSc) is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physician Assistant or graduation from an Accredited Physician Assistant program.
- Must have Prescriptive Authority from the TX Board of Medical Examiners.
- Knowledge of current and emerging medical trends in technologies, techniques and issues and specific knowledge as it relates to HIV/AIDS.
- Must have current NCCPA, BCLS certification.
- Must have active PA licensure in Texas.
- Bilingual is preferred but not mandatory.
- Must become AAHIVM specialist certified within 18 months of hire.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Type: Full Time (Salaried)
Job ID: 114713