Why You’ll Love This Job
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is a global leader in the production of PTA (Terephthalic Acid), PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) Resins, PET Recycling (rPET), and Specialty Polymers. This integrated business services customers all over the world using its global network of manufacturing entities within the Alpek Polyester umbrella. We are committed to improving people’s lives through our products, innovations, and a commitment to sustainability and protecting the environment.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is headquartered in Charlotte, NC with manufacturing facilities in the Carolinas, Mississippi, Indiana, and Pennsylvania.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is a division of Alpek, the petrochemicals and synthetic fibers business group of Alfa, S.A.B. de C.V., one of Mexico’s largest corporations.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is subject to US Department of Commerce export regulations and thus must hire individuals who meet national security requirements. Interested applicants (or temporary employees) must meet eligibility requirements. Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Layout and fit up pipe systems
- Fit and install all types of pipes
- Prepare and fit pipe for welding by a certified pipe welder or join pipe and fittings
- Inspect and test installed pipe system
- Operates shop machines to cut and thread pipe and pipe fittings
- Bolts or welds pipe brackets to support pipe systems, connects pipes to equipment such as pumps, heat exchangers, columns, etc.
- Performs various piping functions to include shop fabrication, field demo and install, field runs and repairs, and screw pipe install and repair
- Sets up and operates welders, drill press, band saw, oxy-acetylene torch, plasma cutters, etc.
- Maintains equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
- May be required to get certification in operation of overhead cranes, forklifts, and man lifts.
- The candidate may be required to work from heights and confined spaces
- Supports company’s planning and scheduling model during routine and shutdown execution
- This career opportunity will be based out of our CA – Columbia (Gaston, SC) facility.
- Minimum High School Diploma / GED
- Must have 3+ years’ experience as a pipe fitter in an industrial manufacturing facility
- NITC or journeymen certification (pipefitter), AWS certification, and Ironwork/Rigging are a plus
- Must be able to distinguish between titanium, hastelloy, stainless steel, carbon steel, and aluminum
- Must have knowledge of welding repair techniques
- Must have the ability to: fabricate and install screw pipe, socket weld pipe, miter and fabricate all pipe; install valves, pipe hangers and supports, steam and heat tracing, basic plumber repair, minor maintenance and repair
- Must have the ability to set up, adjust, and safely operate welders, drill press, band saw, oxy-acetylene torch, plasma cutters, and various pneumatic and electric tools
- The ability to read blueprints, sketches, specifications, written, and verbal instructions is required
- Must have basic math skills, able to convert decimals to fractions, and use all units of measure
- Must be able to read a tape measure and square to 1/32″
- Must be able to work overtime, to include nights and weekends, when needed in order to meet production deadlines
- Must be able to physically meet job requirements; standing, kneeling, lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of industry safety practices and willingness to participate in advancing safety culture
- Great Attendance and ability to work independently without daily supervision
- Will be required to pass practical tests as follows per ASME and BPVC standards.
We offer excellent pay and a skills based pay progression system. This is an hourly position and benefits eligibility starts on your first day of employment.
Type: Full Time (Hourly)
Job ID: 113916