Why You’ll Love This Job
The primary responsibility of the Quality Control Supervisor is to ensure the implementation and maintenance of quality control procedures, in-process inspections, and finished product inspections to support the mechanical integrity of fixed equipment.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is a global leader in the production of PTA (Terephthalic Acid), PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) Resins, PET Recycling (rPET), and Specialty Polymers. This integrated business services customers all over the world using its global network of manufacturing entities within the Alpek Polyester umbrella. We are committed to improving people’s lives through our products, innovations, and a commitment to sustainability and protecting the environment.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is headquartered in Charlotte, NC with manufacturing facilities in the Carolinas, Mississippi, Indiana, and Pennsylvania.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is a division of Alpek, the petrochemicals and synthetic fibers business group of Alfa, S.A.B. de C.V., one of Mexico’s largest corporations.
Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is subject to US Department of Commerce export regulations and thus must hire individuals who meet national security requirements. Interested applicants (or temporary employees) must meet eligibility requirements. Alpek Polyester USA, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate for the Quality Control (QC) Supervisor role, will be results driven, motivated by technical challenges and have excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills as well as demonstrated strong problem solving and analytical skills. The primary responsibility of this position is to ensure the implementation and maintenance of quality control procedures, in-process inspections, and finished product inspections to support the mechanical integrity of fixed equipment.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Engineering, Reliability & Stores and serving as an active member of our Engineering, Reliability & Stores team at our CA – Columbia (Gaston, SC) facility, the primary responsibilities of the QC Supervisor will be accomplished through the following tasks:
- Ensure inspection plans for pressure vessels, piping, and tanks are completed on schedule
- Provides quality assurance for new construction and repairs
- Directs the day-to-day activity of NDE Technicians
- Interprets or evaluates test results in accordance with applicable codes, standards, specifications, or procedures.
- Interprets the results of all methods of non-destructive testing such as liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, thermal or infrared, ultrasonic, radiographic, and visual testing.
- Manages and maintains Material & Test Equipment (M&TE) equipment, logs and records.
- Tests welders to respective DAK Welding Procedure Specifications (WPSs).
- Maintains welder continuity log.
- Develops DAK WPSs and associated Procedure Qualification Records (PQRs), as necessary.
- Maintains data in the weld tracking program to document welder accountability.
- Prepares reports on non-destructive testing/examination results and communicates findings to appropriate parties.
- Conducts liquid penetrant tests to locate surface cracks by coating objects with fluorescent dyes, cleaning excess penetrant, and applying developer when needed.
- Maps the presence of imperfections within objects using sonic measurements.
- Visually examines materials, structures, or components for signs of corrosion, metal fatigue, cracks, or other flaws.
- Oversees DAK’s R-stamp program and Quality Control Manual.
- Interacts with DAK’s Insurance Company’s Authorized Inspector (AI) / Repair Inspector (RI) for alterations and/or repairs to pressure vessels.
- Interprets and reviews engineering drawings, as required.
- Assists in the training and development of others within the organization.
- Some travel may be required (10% estimated, some overnight, domestic and international).
Requirements – Education, Experience, Skills:
- High school/GED equivalent, minimum; some college, particularly science oriented, and/or technical school certification preferred.
- Minimum of 5-years’ experience as a Level II non-destructive evaluation/testing technician.
- Ultrasonic Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing, and Liquid Penetrant Testing certification as per SNT-TC-1A.
- Certified weld inspector status (CWI).
- Demonstrated experience performing Quality Control activities in an industrial environment, preferable petro/chem.
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft applications, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Strong safety background.
- Results oriented process driven team leader with exceptional organizational skills.
Working knowledge of the following codes:
- ASME B31.3, Process Piping
- API 510, Pressure Vessel Inspection Code
- API 653, Tank Inspection, Repair, and Alteration
- API 650, Welded Tanks
- API 520, Sizing and Selection of Pressure Vessel Relief Devices
- API 570, Piping Inspection Code
- API 579, Fitness for Service
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division 1
- National Board Inspection Code
Considered a plus:
- Experience working in a National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) R-Stamp program.
- Experience with Siemens PSAIM or similar inspection data management systems (IDMS) is desirable, but not mandatory
- Must be able to lift 25-pounds, unassisted.
- Bending, stretching, standing for extended periods of time, reaching, twisting, sitting, and walking.
- Climbing and working off of ladders, stairs, and scaffolds.
- Must be willing to work overtime and on weekends, if needed.
- Working in or near industrial hazards.
- Ability and desire to inspect vessel internals by means of confined space entry.
- Ability to follow directions and procedures.
Type: Full Time (Salaried)
Job ID: 113986